Dental hygiene treatment is delivered by our specially trained dental hygienists.
Dental hygiene appointments are generally of three types:
1. Maintenance hygiene appointments
These are for when we have assessed your mouth as needing no active treatment of the gums. There may be plaque, calculus, bleeding but there is no active disease process taking place that we believe can't be controlled by meticulous oral hygiene by you, along with hygiene help by us.
- Your teeth and gums will be assessed to determine the amount of plaque and/or calculus present and risk factors will be highlighted.
- Your teeth will be professionally cleaned with special equipment and pastes. This process is also known as scaling and polishing.
- The hygienist's role is to show you how to look after your teeth , helping you to control plaque build up and you will be advised on the best way to do this and the suggested frequency of visits.
2. Treatment hygiene appointments – a course of treatment for your gums recommended by your dentist.
These are for when we have assessed your mouth as experiencing an active disease process that needs increased intervention by us.
Firstly we gather our information:
- Your teeth and gums will be assessed to determine the amount of plaque and calculus and where it is. Eg What surfaces of the teeth , above or below the gum line?
- Is there any bleeding of the gums and where?
- Tooth mobility?
- Other investigations may include X-rays
Once we have all our information we can devise a treatment plan for you.
Treatment sessions are generally broken down into sections of the mouth at a time. Treatment may be offered using local anaesthesia. The teeth during these sessions will be cleaned thoroughly above and below the gum margins.
At the end of the active treatment group of appointments we will advise on a maintenance plan which will include advice on the products to use and the frequency of visits.
Our aim is to get you to maintenance hygiene appointment status.
3. Direct Access Hygiene Appointments – hygiene on demand
We also offer direct access to our hygienist which means that you can have your teeth cleaned whenever you want.
These appointments are offered to our registered patients in addition to their prescribed appointments and also to non- registered patients who may want a special clean.
- How about that special occasion – wedding, date, job interview, holiday?
- or hair, nails, 'teeth spritz' before that night out?
- how about that creeping in tea /coffee /food/wine staining ?
- or perhaps the nicotine staining?
- or ….just because you want to have your teeth professionally cleaned